February 15, 2018
Doesn’t it seem like the Olympics roll around faster than they used to? Probably just my imagination! It has been a nice treat to watch the skiing, ice skating and other ice related sports this week. If you are interested in the schedule you can click HERE or go to https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2018-winter-olympics-full-tv-schedule-streams-channels-team-usa-medal-count/ on your computer.
One of the things I was searching for this week was how to pronounce Pyeongchang, the location of the Winter Olympics in South Korea. I found a great YouTube segment on this very topic. Watch it HERE to learn the way to correctly pronounce this host cities name.
The other research item I was looking for was “who” to watch for in the Olympics. Having someone specific to root for is a nice way to get and stay engaged in the events. Here’s a list from the CBS website of USA athletes to watch for.
- , snowboarding: A two-time gold-medal winner, he’s back after a disappointing 2014
- Lindsey Vonn, alpine skiing: The best female at her sport of all time, she’s trying to win again at 33
- Mikaela Shiffrin, alpine skiing: She became the youngest slalom champion in Olympic history in 2014
- Maame Biney, speedskating: She’s only 17 and is the second person born in Ghana to ever represent Team USA
- Chloe Kim, snowbarding: A Winter X Games star, she’s only 17 and looking for her first Olympic medal
- Brian Gionta, men’s ice hockey: A former NHL veteran, he headlines the NHL-less team
- , alpine skiing: A phenom back in 2006, he’s vying for a third gold
According to this same website, this is the TV schedule for events this evening.
Thursday, February 15:
5-7 p.m. — Ice Hockey Game of the Day (replay), NBCSN
5-8 p.m. — Women’s Curling:U.S. vs. Switzerland, CNBC
7-8 p.m. — Olympic Ice, NBCSN
8-11 p.m. — Figure Skating (men’s short program, NBCSN (LIVE)
8 p.m. — Women’s Alpine Skiing (slalom first run), NBC (LIVE)
8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. — Figure Skating (men’s short program), NBC (LIVE)
8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. — Women’s Snowboard Cross (gold medal final), NBC (LIVE)
8:45 p.m. — Men’s Skeleton (Gold medal final runs), NBC (LIVE)
8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. — Women’s Freestyle Skiing (aerials competition), NBC (LIVE)
8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. — Women’s Cross Country (10km gold medal final), NBC (LIVE)
9 p.m. — Men’s Alpine Skiing (men’s super-G), NBCSN (LIVE)
10 p.m.-12:30 a.m. — Men’s Ice Hockey: U.S. vs. Slovakia, CNBC (LIVE)
11 p.m.-2:40 a.m. — Men’s Curling: U.S. vs. Sweden, NBCSN
11 p.m.-2:40 a.m. — Men’s Cross Country (15km gold medal final), NBCSN (LIVE)
11:15 p.m. — Women’s Alpine Skiing (slalom second run), NBC (LIVE)
Have some fun watching these very chilly events from your warm and snug home here in Stillwaters!
Quote of the Week:
You show up at the Olympics, and you’re no longer you; you’re an American Olympian. You’re part of this greater whole, and the individual doesn’t matter. – Shaun White
Enjoy the week ahead! Go USA!