November 2, 2018
It is that time of year to turn the clocks back one hour and end Daylight Saving Time. One extra hour this weekend and one extra hour of sleep we can get Saturday night. I wish! My internal clock never seems to make that shift easily. So if I see you out early in the neighborhood Sunday I will wave.
Here’s an interesting article from National Geographic about the time change:
Also, here are some quotes about the annual time change from Search Quotes and Goodreads.
1. “I say it is impossible that so sensible a people [citizens of Paris], under such circumstances, should have lived so long by the smoky, unwholesome and enormously expensive light of candles if they had really known that they might have had as much pure light of the sun for nothing.” — Benjamin Franklin
2. “There are very few things in the world I hate more than Daylight Savings Time. It is the grand lie of time, the scourge of science, the blight on biological understanding.” — Michelle Franklin
3. “Daylight time, a monstrosity in timekeeping.” — Harry S. Truman
4. “You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight saving time.” — Dave Barry
5. “I don’t mind going back to daylight saving time. With inflation, the hour will be the only thing I’ve saved all year.” — Victor Borge
Here’s another DST note for all Stillwaters residents. No need to change smoke alarm batteries at this time of year (as our smoke alarms are hard-wired) but do think of finding your fire extinguisher(s) and giving them a good shake or two. This little activity is good for the extending the life of the fire extinguisher.
Enjoy the week ahead and especially that extra hour of sleep!