We have had another week of hot weather days here in Centralia and I thought maybe after so many days of staying out of the heat we might need some entertainment/news for a change. Grab yourself an iced tea (or your cool refreshment of choice) and take a look at a few of these items for entertainment and/or education. Enjoy!
- As the hot weather continues the bees, wasps and hornets are busy making new homes under the eaves, on back porches, in bushes and anywhere else they find. Did you know that if you want one removed you can call the office and our maintenance crew will remove it for you? Call anytime and if after hours just leave a message with your address and the location of the hive or nest.
- The Gathering Place is a nice cool place to come for respite from the heat. Air conditioning is on 24/7 and this may be a better choice for these hot evenings if your apartment or house doesn’t have air conditioning. Feel free to work on the jigsaw puzzle or bring your neighbors and play cards.
- Check out the brain games on Lumosity for entertainment on these summer afternoons as we hibernate inside! Go to the website and answer a few questions and they will design brain games specific to what you want to focus on.
- You are welcome to use the computer at The Gathering Place for email and surfing the web and remember it is a public website so no banking or other confidential computer work. Here is a great “Test your knowledge” on Wi-Fi Security at this website.
- Check out these local happenings for getting out of the house as the weather begins to cool down next week:
- Today through Sunday: The 9th Annual Mossyrock Blueberry Festival is this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Events include a pancake breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday, live music, a pie eating contest, the Mossyrock Dam Bike Ride, a three-day quilt show, 5K run, car show and a dog show. The Parade starts at 11am on Saturday. For information head to: mossyrockfestivals.org.
- Friday, August 7 – Monday, August 10th: The Mt. St. Helens Bluegrass Festival is coming up August 7-10 at Toledo High School’s Outdoor Amphitheatre. Phillip Steinmetz and his Sunny Tennesseans headline, with the best bluegrass mountain music. For more information, call 520-4524.
- Saturday, August 8th: The Fox Theatre presents the silent film “The General”. This famous silent film starring Buster Keaton takes place during the civil war and the story about Keaton as a southern railroad engineer provides the perfect vehicle for his physical comedy. This is a classic film that you don’t want to miss. What makes it even better is the movie will be accompanied by pianist Nick Nicholai playing the original score to the movie. After touring with many jazz swing bands, including Louis Armstrong, Paul Desmond and other big-band musicians, Nicholai made his home base on Whidbey Island in the ‘70s. Don’t miss this treat! $8 per person at the door or call the Fox Theatre at (360) 623-1103 for more information.
Quote of the Week:
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America.
What will the weather be next week?
Tomorrow will be in the mid-90s and then cooling off each day so that by Thursday there is a 50% chance of rain and highs in the 70s. After a week in the 90s this will be a nice relief. Stay cool and stay hydrated.