Word games are great for the brain and they are everywhere it seems. They are the latest thing in memory improvement and keeping your mind active. Use or lose it, as they say!
- Stay physically active and exercise to promote blood flow to the brain.
- Engage in mentally stimulating activities throughout life, like doing puzzles, memory games, or learning a new language.
- Reduce stress and depression. Regular exercise can help with this.
- Eat a healthy, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet that is rich in dark vegetables, fruits, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E. Omega-3 fatty acids, commonly found in certain fish and nuts, may also help lower your risk of dementia.
- Wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle to prevent a brain injury if you fall or get into an accident.
- Always wear a seatbelt when driving.
- Treat any head injury seriously.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Do not smoke.
- Get regular checkups from your doctor.
So here is the inside scoop on some fun games. You can play these games on your computer, tablet or smartphone so they are very accessible. I started playing “Word With Friends” on my Kindle and soon had several friends I was playing with. This is a game of scrabble played online with friends near and far – you determine who you play with. This game can provide good entertainment. Go to this website to download
My next adventure in word games was playing a game called “WordBrain”. It is a puzzle of letters that you make into words. The fun is that the more you play the harder it gets. I am now at the advanced stage where I stare at this for periods of time and think there can’t possibly be words there and voila! There it is! Go to this website for instructions on where to go to download. There are even websites that help you if you get stuck on this game.
I have talked about the AARP.ORG website before because it has some great games that are easily accessed. Today I noticed they have a new game called “Split Words”. This game is set at the level you want (easy to hard) and your challenge is to fit words together. You get an array of split words and your match them up. It is more challenging than it sounds so I recommend starting easy. Go HERE to start the game.
There are other fun games online so if you don’t like one you can move onto another. Have fun and exercise your brain.
Quote of the Week:
Nothing happens unless first we dream. – Carl Sandburg
Happenings this Week:
Tonight: Potluck night at Stillwaters Estates! Bring your favorite dish to share and your plate. Everything else is provided. Dinner starts at 6 p.m.
Friday – Sunday – Garlic Fest at the SWW Fairgrounds. Noon to 7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Lots of good garlic food to try and all proceeds benefit local charities.
Saturday – Hub City Car Show. Come see the cars on Tower Avenue. 9 a.m to 4 p.m.
Weather: Rain is expected by tomorrow and should keep up through next Wednesday. Great News!