The Fourth of July is just about here and there’s lots happening in Centralia and Lewis County to celebrate of the day. First try your hand at this “4th of July Quiz. No peeking at the answers before you are done!
1. How many verses does the Star Spangled Banner have?
2. What is the last line of the last verse of our National Anthem?
3. Who wrote the Star Spangled Banner?
4. What is our national bird?
5. How were fireworks invented?
6. How is the flag supposed to be folded?
7. What are two things the flag should never touch?
8. The first Independence Day was July 4, 1776 but in what year was Fourth of July officially declared a national holiday by Congress?
9. Which president of the United States was born on the Fourth of July?
10. Which two presidents, both of whom signed the Declaration of Independence, died on the Fourth of July in 1826?
BONUS: How many signatures appeared on the Declaration of Independence?
Answers appear at the end of today’s blog.
Quote of the Week:
Those who won our independence… valued liberty as an end and as a means. They believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty. – Louis D. Brandeis
Happenings this Week:
Monday, July 4th:
Stillwaters Estates BBQ for all Residents – Noon at the Gathering Place. Residents are asked to bring a salad, appetizer or dessert to go with the hot dogs and hamburgers provided by Stillwaters. Plates, napkins, silverware and cups provided.
Summerfest Events at Borst Park:
7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Free Pancake Breakfast at Kitchen #1 in Borst Park.
8:30 a.m. SWAT Challenge at Park Building at 902 Johnson.
8:30 a.m. Annual “I Ran from the Cops” 8K run or 1.5 mile health walk at 902 Johnson
10:00 a.m. to 3:300 p.m. Free entertainment, games, trolley rides, hay rides, cribbage tournament, horseshoes and historical military display at Borst Park.
11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Hot dog lunch with drinks available ($2 donation to Centralia Police Youth Sports program, fast pitch and soccer.
10:00 to 2:00 p.m. Free tours of historic Borst Home and One Room Schoolhouse
Historic Downtown Centralia:
4:00 p.m. Centralia 4th of July Summerfest Parade- Downtown Centralia
SW Washington Fairgrounds:
5:00 p.m. Tickets on sales for Destruction Derby (No advance tickets)
7:00 p.m. Destruction Derby and following the Derby there will be free fireworks for all.
Our partly cloudy weather with temperatures in the mid-70’s will continue for the next week or so. Great weather for a 4th of July celebration!
Answers to Quiz:
2. O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave (it’s the last line of each verse).
3. Francis Scott Key.
4. The bald eagle.
5. The Chinese invented them much the same way they constructed rockets for war.
6. The preferred way to fold the flag to show respect is to fold it into the shape of a triangle.
7. The ground or water.
9. The 30th president, Calvin Coolidge
10. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.
Quiz Source: Families.com